vmware server won't configure on FC4

Vicki Stanfield vicki at stanfield.net
Sat Mar 11 15:19:08 UTC 2006

I am trying to install VMware Server on FC4 on my x86_64 system. This box is
on my internal network (192.168.12.0) and is natted through another box to
have internet access. The main FC4 install does have internet access. I
install the rpm (VMware-server-e.x.p-20925.i386.rpm - didn't see an x86_64
binary). The rpm installs fine. I then run wmare-config.pl, basically
selecting the defaults. Whenever I try to start vmware-server, it tells me
that:

vmware is installed, but it has not been (correctly) configured for this
system. To (re-)configure it, invoke the following command:
/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl.

I have tried many different options but none seem to work. Here are the
options I think I should select:

for all directories I choose default location
I let it build a vmmon module which appears to complete appropriately
I say yes to wanting networking for the virtual machines
I then use the wizard to configure it.
I say yes to NAT networking (although I have tried no too)
I let it probe for an unused private subnet. (it chose 192.168.224.0)
Say no to host-only networking.
I take default port of 902.

I am unsure what I am doing wrong here. Does someone see a hole in my logic. I
simply want the vm to be bridged onto my 192.168.12.0 net.

Vicki