How do I add a SATA drive to a system that already has an IDE drive?

Derek Tattersall tatters at newsguy.com
Sat Mar 11 15:40:57 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 08:47 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 12:47 -0500, Derek Tattersall wrote:
> > I have a system that has a motherboard with both SATA and IDE on it. I
> > have an IDE drive as /dev/hda, and a CDROM drive as /dev/hdb with FC4 on
> > the IDE drive. I have acquired a SATA drive and would like to add it to
> > my system. If I just plug it in, the computer hangs at with a message
> > like GRUB: Loading stage 2.
> >
> > I set up the system bios to boot off of hdd0, and it seems to do that -
> > at least it starts booting the grub bootloader, it just doesn't get very
> > far.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me how to set up grub so I can still boot the computer
> > off of the IDE drive and then use the SATA drive for extra storage? I
> > don't want to re-install the operating system or move it to the other
> > drive if I can help it.
> >
> > The motherboard is an ASUS K8V Deluxe with a Via chipset.
> >
> It sounds like the SATA drive is being seen by grub as hda and thus it
> cannot boot.
>
> Try booting with your Rescue CD or the first install CD and check what
> the drives are actually being seen as.  You then can change device.map
> and if needed the kernel command line in grub.conf to boot properly

The ide drive is /dev/hda, the SATA drive is /dev/sda. The problem is
with GRUB on /dev/hda, it never gets as far as loading the kernel. GRUB
hangs with the message: Loading stage 2. I have been reading the grub
docs, but I cannot find anything relevant. Does anyone know what GRUB is
doing at stage 2? I don't know what kinds of problems could lead to this
error.

Thanks

Derek Tattersall