Still gnawing on on FC4, CXO, GPS/topo maps, etc.

Tony Dietrich td at transoft-adsl.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 11 16:50:38 UTC 2006

On Friday 10 March 2006 18:14, Beartooth wrote:

> Do I need to add a couple of lines to /dev/? Can I simply command "nano -w
> /dev" and type onto the bottom? Or What?? Why isn't the machine seeing its
> own hardware, that's been there since I got it, months ago? Or why
> is it seeing it one way, but not another??
>
> --
> Beartooth Staffwright, PhD, Neo-Redneck, Double Retiree,
> Not Quite Clueless Linux Power User : Fedora Core 4 [etc]
> I have precious (very precious) little idea where up is.

Bear,

Try this:

su - to root.

root # tail -f /var/log/messages

then plug in your usb connection to the GPS, and let us know what it says.

USB is handled by hotplug, so if configures the entries on-the-fly.

First, we need to know if it IS seeing the device when you plug it in, and
recognising it.

--
Tony