From release notes for FC5T3 (web)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Mar 11 18:00:30 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 09:26 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

> >use the right
> >systems. I guess
> >useful options.

> >productive than

> >battles were similar
> >having another

> >battling on the list
> >issues on
> >installation or a
> >install media.

> >read" release

> >> I don't what you definition of productive is but this bugzilla was
> >> not very productive in my view. Just to say that is the way it is
> >> and install everything will never come back is not very responsive.
> >>
> >---
> >the response also pointed out that you could right click on the group
> >and 'select all' or 'select none' for the group. All right, so it takes
> >8 clicks instead of 1 click to 'install everything' now...not a big
> >deal.
> >
> >What you don't get from the bugzilla entry but can get from parsing the
> >developers list is that they are trying to shed packages from Fedora
> >Core and push them out to 'Extras' and make 'core' truly just the core
> >and 'install everything' is less valuable as they succeed in
> >doing that.
> >What you don't get if you don't read the developers list is
> >what is that
> >they don't even agree on what is meant by 'install everything' - where
> >some might interpret it to mean every package, others thought it
> >shouldn't include every language pack under the sun for every package
> >and as you consider the impact of this, you begin to get the
> >point...'install everything' was never really clear about it's purpose
> >at the outset.
> >
> >Craig
> >

> Clearly it IS a big deal.  8 clicks is 8 clicks and not 1 click!  You're
> right - I am too darn lazy but 8 clicks adds to my already agravating
> carpal tunnel wrist. But seriously, anything to make it easier for the
> installer is what I am advocating.  Anything less than that is a very
> unprofessional descision and it just makes for an unsavory installation
> experience.
>
> I added my comments to the BUGZILLA for suggestions that should be
> reviewed.  I don't like buzilla but I am willing to get these installer
> issues resolved for the benefit of fedora's community.
----
I hope that you recognize that:

- you added your comments to the bugzilla entry that was already closed,
notabug. So while yours and Claudes' entries are attached to the
bugzilla, you have made them on a bugzilla entry whose disposition has
already been determined.

- that post install allows you to install other packages and isn't
really part of the pre-install selection at all which purposely is only
concerned with installing the core packages.

My impression is that this is all much ado about nothing as I am
gathering that the last two commentators haven't seen the FC-5 installer
(at least Jim used it). At this point, they aren't going to change it
prior to release of FC-5 which is imminent so why don't you wait until
you get it, use it and then if necessary, critique it via bugzilla.

Thanks

Craig