FC4->FC5 upgrade options -- and GUIs

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Mar 11 18:09:44 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 17:55 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 11 March 2006 17:24, Craig White wrote:
> > cli = command line interface
> >
> > recognize that the fundamental architecture of UNIX/Linux is 'C'
> > language and text configuration files. Knowing where the configuration
> > files are located and how to use an appropriate text editor is the key.
> >
> > GUI = graphic user interface
> >
> > recognize that the GUI tools that are available merely manipulate the
> > same text configuration files in the same locations...they just provide
> > the knowledge of where these files are and the GUI editor to edit them.
> >
> I think your judgement on this has been a little harsh.  I would rather say
> that 20-30% of users are not confident of their ability to survive without
> the GUI.  I still prefer to edit in kwrite myself, but I'm quite able to
> manage the few basic commands to get by in vi if I have to.
----
knowing how to use an editor is part of the equation. Knowing which
files to edit is the larger issue I think.
----

> Hmm - I suffered a complete loss of X a couple of years ago through a broken
> mirror.  It wasn't funny.  And it couldn't be fixed by a tool such as
> system-config-display.  The biggest problem, in that case, is losing the
> life-line of list support.  Up to then I had never heard of the text
> browsers, but I've made sure that I could manage if I ever had to again, so
> at least I'd be able to use webmail to interface.
----
sounds like you are trying to argue against my point by agreeing with
it.
----

> FWIW, I'm in favour of clean install, from my past experience, but I have
> never yet managed to do two clean installs with identical results, even
> ignoring the obvious hardware-related differences  ;-)
----
I have seen that too - which is why I balked yesterday when the guy
asked...how do I logout?  ;-)  and now the answer is confused since I
recently switched over to KDE and have forgotten all the various menu
structures that GNOME seems to present to me.

Craig