Substitute vncviewer

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sat Mar 11 21:59:20 UTC 2006

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 03:22:47PM -0500, William Hooper wrote:

> akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> > The program vncviewer will not connect to the Apple Remote Server of
> > OS X which is their built in VNC server. Does anyone have a suggestion
> > for a substitute vnc viewer that might work? --
>
> According to the folks at RealVNC, the problem is that Apple's server
> isn't compatible.
>
> http://www.realvnc.com/pipermail/vnc-list/2006-March/054353.html
>
> --
Look I appreciate any help I can get and the link above is
interesting. However the people posting in that interchange seem not
to know that there is a OS X compatible vnc-server called OSvnc (not
from apple) that does work with vncviewer. So you ask why not use that
server. Good question, I think we should.

So I assume there are no vnc client programs around that might be
compatible with Apple Remote Desktop. Such is life.
As I said there is a compatible client that works in OS X (and maybe
in Windows) called Chicken of the VNC. But no Linux version that I can
find.

You display the wonderful traits of charm and courtesy.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484