FC4->FC5 upgrade options -- and GUIs

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Mar 12 01:31:37 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 11:09 -0700, Craig White wrote:
>> I balked yesterday when the guy asked...how do I logout?  ;-)
>
> I just couldn't understand that, unless there's some visual problems
> involved.  There's only three menus (by default) with Gnome, and "Log
> out" is the last item on the last menu, it's not even on a sub-menu that
> you'd have to go hunting for.  It's not hard to find, at all.
>
> It makes you wonder whether some people put any effort into anything, at
> all; or have any common sense...

For a time there was not shutdown option provided on the system menu in
FC5 test. It was tried to assume that if a computer could hibernate or
suspend, the suspend choice would show and the shutdown choice would not
be available in the menu.
It is not about user common sense as much as it is about how the menu
structures are setup. Another item is when the designer assumes what the
end use wants to do.

Also with Gnome at least, the menus are always changing. For instance,
someone could not find the terminal which used to be under application >
System Tools. A common, predictable location you say! Well, it is now
under Applications > Accessories for FC5.

no more Desktop menu, it is now System also.

Jim