DVD Problem?

John Pierce john.j35 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 07:45:17 UTC 2006

I have just installed Fedora 4 on an IBM Thinkpad T21, I had to
install from cd's as the DVD/CDRW drive would not read the DVD install
disc.

After installing and update Fedora I tried to watch a dvd movie, then
tried to mount the install dvd and the drive will not recognize either
of them.

I ran cdrecord -scanbus and this is the result:
'MATSHITA' 'DVD-ROM SR-8175 ' 'G228' Removable CD-ROM

I know that I have a DVD-ROM SR-8175 with firmware G228.  I started
looking at possible region problems and ran a utility called
dvd_region and this was the output.

Drive region info:
Type: Drive region is set
4 vendor resets available
4 user controlled changes available
Region: 1 playable
RPC Scheme: The Logical Unit _shall_ adhere to the specification and
all requirements of the CSS license agreement concerning RPC

>From this output I came to the conclusion that the drive is RPC-1 or
region free, so why can I not mount a dvd-disc.

This is a snip from anaconda-syslog

hdc: ATAPI 24X DVD-ROM drive, 512kB Cache, UDMA(33)

I have no idea how to resolve this.

John
--
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at
http://counter.li.org