FC4 --> FC5: yum update? (was: release notes for FC5T3 (web)

alan alan at clueserver.org
Sun Mar 12 21:26:31 UTC 2006

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006, taharka wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 09:54 -0500, Beartooth NQC wrote:

>>> I'd not recommend it.
>>>
>>> Fedora Core 5 has many basic changes. For example the X Server
>>> installation is in /usr/bin now, and does not reside in /usr/X11R6/bin
>>> anymore.
>>>
>>> Such "little" details might confuse your additional non-core packages.
>>
>> For those of us too clueless to download ISOs and burn them to CDs or
>> DVDs, is there any preferred place to get those? I've had rather
>> variegated experience buying Fedora media online ...
>
> Have you checked at your local University (VTech) there in Blacksburg?
> Their computer science dept. has a Unix course
> http://courses.cs.vt.edu/~cs2204/ Maybe they'll burn the FC5 CDs/DVDs
> for you :-)

User groups are your friend.  There is usually at least one person (or
more) who will make you copies of whatever distro you want.  They can also
teach you what it takes to download and burn your own.  (It is not hard at
all.  With tools like K3B, it is easier than the equivelent tools on
Windows.)

--
"George W. Bush -- Bringing back the Sixties one Nixon at a time."