Backup

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun Mar 12 21:47:31 UTC 2006

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 23:53:14 -0600,
  Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Depends on the cause of the failure. If the hard drive failed because
> Katrina flooded your basement, all the RAID in the world won't recover.

Not too mention it is a lot more common to accidentally delete a file,
than to have a hard drive fail. RAID doesn't protect from that either.

Probably the nicest thing about using RAID is that a single hard drive
failure can be recovered from very rapidly. (I.e. you don't need to wait
for a replacement drive to show up before ou can use your computer again.)