FC4 --> FC5: yum update? (was: release notes for FC5T3 (web)

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 12 22:07:11 UTC 2006

Colin Brace wrote:
> This discussion is all well and good, but what I would really like to
> know is whether it is possible and advisable to do the upgrade next
> week with yum. I *really* don't feel like installing dozens of
> non-core packages all over again.

It is possible to do an upgrade with the FC install disks, rather than
an install from scratch. It's much more likely to work than a yum
upgrade (in general), because FCn -> FCn+1 isn't just a case of
upgrading the appropriate packages. The anaconda install package will do
a number of "special case" upgrades: in the past, this has included
things like getting udev working.

I haven't had problems with this procedure in the past. Some people
have: I suspect that they've replaced *core* packages with non-Fedora
packages, which will (understandably) confuse things. In general, the
closer you are to "stock core" (possibly with Extras packages), the
better the upgrade should be.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | McGill does everything in two languages. Even the
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | water valves in our bathrooms are marked in both