DVD Problem?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Mar 12 23:49:35 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 01:45 -0600, John Pierce wrote:
> I have just installed Fedora 4 on an IBM Thinkpad T21, I had to
> install from cd's as the DVD/CDRW drive would not read the DVD install
> disc.
>
> After installing and update Fedora I tried to watch a dvd movie, then
> tried to mount the install dvd and the drive will not recognize either
> of them.
>
> I ran cdrecord -scanbus and this is the result:
> 'MATSHITA' 'DVD-ROM SR-8175 ' 'G228' Removable CD-ROM
>
> I know that I have a DVD-ROM SR-8175 with firmware G228.  I started
> looking at possible region problems and ran a utility called
> dvd_region and this was the output.
>
> Drive region info:
> Type: Drive region is set
> 4 vendor resets available
> 4 user controlled changes available
> Region: 1 playable
> RPC Scheme: The Logical Unit _shall_ adhere to the specification and
> all requirements of the CSS license agreement concerning RPC
>
> >From this output I came to the conclusion that the drive is RPC-1 or
> region free, so why can I not mount a dvd-disc.
>
> This is a snip from anaconda-syslog
>
> hdc: ATAPI 24X DVD-ROM drive, 512kB Cache, UDMA(33)
>
> I have no idea how to resolve this.

I think you need the utilities to read and decode DVDs.
I used rpmforge (and a couple pieces from livna) and installed the
following.  It works for me.

yum install dvd\* libdvd\* xine\*

This got me the list below.  I think the only part that was absolutely
needed was the libdvdread, libdvdplay, and libdvdcss for decoding and
playing the DVD.  I use xine to play the DVD.  Dvd+rw tools is needed
for writing DVDs, but I am not sure which is needed just to mount one;
although if I had to guess it may be libdvdread.

$ rpm -qa dvd\*
dvd+rw-tools-5.21.4.10.8-6
dvdstyler-1.4-0.lvn.3.4
dvdauthor-0.6.11-1.2.fc4.rf