Sendmail authentication issue or spam?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Mar 13 08:14:52 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 16:25 +0100, Gbenga Shobowale wrote:

>  However below  is the error I get when I pop the mail on my
> desktop....so I am not sure if it is an authentication error or a spam
> issue..
>
> When I configured a microsoft client and was able to send a mail but I
> did not get it on gmail....
>
> Please could you anyone help me out?
>
> thanks
>
> The original message was received at Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:11:04 +0100
> from [192.168.0.101]
>
> ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> <gshobowale at gmail.com>
>
> (reason: 550 found in sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org)
>
> ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>
> ... while talking to isp.org.:

> <<< 550 found in sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
>
> 550 5.1.1 <gshobowale at gmail.com>... User unknown
>
> 451 4.4.1 reply: read error from isp.org.

This error message suggests that you mail is being rejected because your
IP address is listed in the SBL-XBL spam database. So the first thing I
would do is to visit http://www.spamhaus.org/xbl/index.lasso and lookup
the IP address you're using to find out if that's actually the case.

If you ISP is rejecting your mail after you've authenticated because of
a listing by a DNSBL, I would complain to the ISP and get them to fix it
(i.e. either get them to turn off blacklist checks for authenticated
clients, or get the blacklist listing removed, which is easily done for
the XBL). I'm assuming here that you're using authentication with your
Microsoft client too. If they don't do that, change ISPs as they're
useless to you if you can't send mail.

If your IP is not listed in the SBL or XBL, you again need to take this
up with your ISP because their error message is misleading.

Paul.