Can't debug using gdb + debuginfo rpms

I'm trying to debug a GTK app under gdb, but can't step into the GTK library. All the stuff (not much!) I've found on the net seems to imply that this should 'just work'.

  This is what I have installed:

gtk2-debuginfo-2.4.14-4.fc3.3

  for:

gtk2-2.4.14-4.fc3.i386.rpm

... but a 'step' into any gtk_ function just jumps over it. I'm wondering if it's because it's my own app., not an rpm-installed binary: maybe my app. needs some extra built-in ld stuff to point it to the debug files.

  Any hints?

--
[neil fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil fnx ~]# ls -l .signature