email/groupware solution ?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Mar 13 18:58:58 UTC 2006

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 08:02:42PM +0100, Marcel Janssen wrote:
> On Monday 13 March 2006 11:51, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > After some investigation I ended up with opengroupware as a
> > candidate. It looks like people had been successfully using it with
> > dovecot. I'll be packaging it up at ATrpms (maybe in the testing
> > section).
>
> It would be great to have these at ATrpms.

OGo is quite nasty, one effectively needs to replace half of objc (and
half as in "half the package" ...). From a developer's perspective OGo
chose some funny infrastructure.

> I haven't tried dovecot and didn't even know it existed. I'm actually stil
> figuring out how to get mail working well. Thanks for pointing this out.
>
> > I also like horde a lot, but the integration with other clients like
> > evolution's calendaring isn't there, and having a web-only calendaring
> > is sometimes bothersome.
>
> Correct, but in my case it is only useful when I can have this on both windows
> and Linux and I think evolution doesn't run on windows or am I wrong here ?
> Having evolution on Linux and another client for windows would also be fine
> though.

As far as I checked at least for Outlook all open source projects need
a "connector" that is not free. E.g. there is no open source solution
to connect Outlook to a group calendar. But you may argue that since
Outlook itself is neither open source, nor free, that this is just an
extension of the restrictions you have to put up anyway with Outlook.

I don't know if there are any good open source mail/calendaring
clients for Windows at the league of evolution/outlook.

In my case it's only one Windows user and he will be always connected
to the net. So a good Web-UI would suffice. The Linux user group would
have to be more flexible, so evolution is giving the possible
solutions.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net