mouse problems

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Mar 13 20:31:48 UTC 2006

Jon Shorie wrote:
> Our web developer is using a Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 on his
> Fedora Core 4 Box.  Whenever he touches the scroll wheel instead of scrolling
> on the screen it pulls up the right click menu.  Is there a problem with this
> mouse?
>
> Any Suggestions?
>
> Jon Shorie
> Medina County Sanitary Engineers

Check how the mouse buttons are mapped in xorg.conf. You may have
to change the ZAxisMapping settings. Most scroll mice will show
button 3 click if you press the wheel, and show something like
buttons 6 and 7 for rolling the scroll wheel. The problem is that
not the button usage in not consistent for anything except the
first 3 buttons. You can end up with real buttons 4 and 5, or you
can get the scroll wheel as 4 and 5. I have not run into it, but
it would not surprise me to find that there are mice out there that
reverse the order of the buttons used by the scroll wheel.

Mikkel