Geting some rubbish in the name of the disk

Joel Rees joel_rees at sannet.ne.jp
Mon Mar 13 22:40:38 UTC 2006

On 2006.3.14, at 01:57 AM, Paul Smith wrote:

> Dear All
>
> To create an ISO file of a movie I use the command:
>
> mkisofs -o dvd.iso -V "Movie Name" -dvd-video -v /path/to/DVD
>
> However, if the "Movie name" is a string containing accented letters,
> then I get some rubbish in the name of the disk when its icon appear
> on KDE desktop. How can I circumvent this problem? Since I do not have
> any external DVD player (I have got only the one on my computer), will
> the same rubbish appear on TV when the disk is played?

When moving "accented" characters from system to system, expect them
not to display correctly on some systems. At the very best, a system
might not have a font with the characters. At worst, conversions are
still not very repeatable. (99% still misses one in a hundred.) In a
monoculture, this is not a problem, but once you cross language
borders, you're no longer in a monoculture.

It'll take a few more years to get the conversions to the 99.999% level.