Mutt Question

Berna Massingill bmassing at cs.trinity.edu
Mon Mar 13 23:11:01 UTC 2006

On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 11:39:00PM -0000, Chris Norman wrote:

>>  Hi people,
>>  I want to change my from: address in mutt.
>>
>>  At the minute, every time I send an e-mail to someone, it looks like it's
>>  coming from "God <root at 192.168.0.132>", I'd like it as my address.
>>
>>  How would I do this please?

What seemed to work for me was to add the following to my .muttrc
file (name and address changed to protect the .... paranoid?):

set from="my_real_address at myisp.com"
set realname="My Real Name Here"
set use_from=yes
set envelope_from=yes
set use_domain=no

If I remember right, after I made this change, sendmail started adding
a header to every outgoing message saying something like "warning!
this e-mail's From header may be fake!"  I was able to make it stop
by added appropriate username(s) to /etc/mail/trusted-users and
restarting sendmail.

Hope this helps.

--
-- blm