Power Question (a bit OT)

Can anyone tell me what it is within a machine that gets it to boot up again after it has lost power?

I have some machines where, if we have a power outage it will crash, but then immediately boot up once power is restored.  I have others that crash and need to be manually powered on when the power is restored.  Is there a name for this feature?  Is there a way for me to tell how a machine will behave in this regard without actually yanking the power to find out?

Thanks,
Tom