RAID 5 Multiple Hard-drives failure

Mariano López Reta mlreta at alternativagratis.com
Tue Mar 14 15:27:44 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 10:16 -0500, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:

> > - controller (in this case, motherboard) failure: sometimes is not the
> > drive that fails, but the controller, rendering the disks useless.
>
> I am suspecting this too. But something I was not sure, could a bad controller
> render a drive to be physically damaged / bad as well ? My controller is on
> PCI card, any way to determine if they are bad ? or is the motherboard ? The
> system drive that plugs directly to the motherboard (not part of the RAID
> array) has never had any problem.

Hmmmm, interesting. Then, I would say that the problem concentrates on
the controller or the drives, since you have other disks (I'm assuming
same make/model here), that has not failed. Do you have other machine
were you can check if the drive respond or if it went bad definitely? If
it is physically damaged, then I would say that the problem is almost
surely on the drive itself. If some (or most or all) of the errors can
be corrected using other controller/motherboard, then the fault is on
the electronics.

Hope this helps,

Good luck,

--