RAID 5 Multiple Hard-drives failure

Mariano López Reta mlreta at alternativagratis.com
Tue Mar 14 15:32:19 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 12:27 -0300, Mariano López Reta wrote:

> Hmmmm, interesting. Then, I would say that the problem concentrates on
> the controller or the drives, since you have other disks (I'm assuming
> same make/model here), that has not failed. Do you have other machine
> were you can check if the drive respond or if it went bad definitely? If
> it is physically damaged, then I would say that the problem is almost
> surely on the drive itself. If some (or most or all) of the errors can
> be corrected using other controller/motherboard, then the fault is on
> the electronics.

One more thing I forgot:

The power supply theory is very plausible, also. To check if it's OK,
you measure all four cables on any peripheral connector, to check for
+5, -5, and +12. Of course you'll not remain looking at your voltmeter
for a week, so if they measure OK when you check, and the failure is
random, you'll have to try to change the (complete) power supply. They
are a cheap part (around 50 bucks for a nice quality one). So try that
and if the problem does not go away, then there's nothing else to put
suspicions on. Just blame the drives.

Hope this helps,

--
Mariano López Reta <mlreta at alternativagratis.com>