RAID 5 Multiple Hard-drives failure

Andrew Lennon alennon at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 15:46:13 UTC 2006

I had a similar thing happen to me a month or so ago.  I was using
seagate (sata250GB) drives and found I was getting many singular
errors which then spread to multiple drives within a matter of hours.
I was left in the situation where one drive had physically failed, and
one was left corrupted.  Out of the six drives, two were dead
according to mdadm so I thought I was stuffed.

I would strongly recommend trying mhdd and running the remap function.
 This allowed me to get the supposedly dead drive back (run it a few
times, and yes I did pop the drive in the freezer for 30 minutes
beforehand!).  I was then able to bring that drive up as good and
reassemble.  I then bought more drives and now rsync backup to another
machine!

My problem was actually to do with having 4x1GB of RAM, with two
sticks not fully matched.  I have since tested all of my RAM and have
to run it at a lower spec.  I would recommend running memtest+ test 5
on each stick and building up combinations from there.

The same drives are now working flawlessly.

Regs,

Andy