Power Question (a bit OT)

Anil Kumar Sharma xplusaks at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 16:36:53 UTC 2006

It is the ATX form factor of power supply design specification.
This design (and onwards) starts the power supply with a soft switch meaning
a low voltage pulse triggers the main SMPS circuit.
This pulse can be  given
   1. manually as when we start the soft push power-on button or
alternatively
   2. automatically by the on board circuitry (involving BIOS), based on
setting stored in BIOS setup.

On 3/14/06, ..// sea wolf //.. <bananas4arsenal at hotmail.com > wrote:

> I always thought this was down to a power surge going thru to the
> motherboard and effectively shorting it into booting.
>
> Can anyone correct me?

..// sea wolf //.. your are right in literal sense - it does happen like
this but that surge is in fact a tiny miniscule electronic pulse that is
checked  against a hell of a lot of logic and then qualified to short that
soft switch to power on the main SMPS and bring a smile on user's face -
"see my compie starts automatically".

--
Anil Kumar Shrama