Creating Image

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Tue Mar 14 22:35:32 UTC 2006

Greetings,

Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:
> On 3/14/06, Jim Douglas <jdz99 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I want to create an image of my current FC server for quick restore.
>>
>> I have a USB  drive.
>
> me too =)

I have a USB Flash memory stick , if that counts . It is formated with
the FAT Filesystem

>> What command do I use to format the USB drive?

It depends on the filesystem .

Well generally the command for making filesystems  is mkfs .

> mke2fs is a good series of software to check out and read about.

mke2fs is just the command for making an Extended Filesystem v. 2.0
( The Filesystem that usually Linux has ) . Now there is a chance of
making an Ext3 filesystem which has the added advantage of a journal ,
which can be really helpfull in cases of data recovery .
The command for an ext3 filesystem would be :

mke2fs -j /dev/hdd1

>> What command should I use to create the image?

An ISO image you mean ?? By image you mean the thing that you write to
CDs ??

That's the mkisofs command

Kind Regards,
   Kostas