supported wireless cards

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Mar 14 22:53:08 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 22:00 +0000, jack wallen wrote:
> Just curious,
>
> What desktop wireless cards (PCI) work "out of the box" with FC 4? A
> friend wants to migrate from Windows now but has to have wireless
> because the desktop machine is too far from the router.  I've been
> searching and all I can find are supported chipsets (which I understand
> is critical). However, does anyone actually have a specific PCI card
> that works?
>
> Thanks anyone.

Unfortunately manufactures have been known to change the chipset in
cards and use the same model number.  One Dlink Air-Plus DWL-G650 card
may have a prism chipset while another will have an atheros chipset.
Each will need different drivers.

About the only way to know for sure is to get the card and run lspci to
find out what is really inside.