Brother 1440 printer on Fedora Core 4

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Mar 14 23:22:54 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 11:13 -0500, Neil Cherry wrote:
> Eric Beversluis wrote:

> >> I think it stops the rpm from running the post install script. The
> >> problem I had was selecting the correct URI for the networked
> >> printer. I finally got http://printer/ipp/port1 to work and not
> >> split out a billion blank pages.
> >
> > It seems to have worked--anyway I've had a test page print out OK. We'll
> > see what happens when I reboot (I had it printing once before--don't
> > know how--and rebooting screwed things up). Apparently the instruction
> > on page
> > http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/lpr_drivers.html
> >
> > "To use this driver, you must ensure that the LPR printing system is
> > installed and running on your Linux distribution."
>
> Actually they have an FAQ that states you needed to link. Or at
> least I found it somewhere on their site. I thought it was
> weird also. What does lpd have to do with cups? Go figure ...

Cups is _not_ LPR.  The lpd daemon is part of LPR.
It appears that Brother's install program expects the LPR printing
system to be running and has not updated the install procedure to work
when cups is the running print daemon.  Thus you need the link
from /etc/init.d/lpd to /etc/init.d/cups so it can find the running
print daemon and do a successful install.