lpd server

Boris Glawe boris at boris-glawe.de
Tue Mar 14 23:32:55 UTC 2006

Hello,

We have an lpd Server on a solaris machine. Our Clients will be updated
to Fedora Core 5 as soon as it is released.

Due to deep dependencies with gnome we don't want to replace the cups
packages with lprng on the clients. Though we'd like to use cups'
capability to communicate with an lpd server.

On a client running fc5 test3 I used system-config-printer to configure
the printer. I created a new printing queue, and chose "LPD" as queue
type. I entered the print server and the corresponding queue. As the
driver I chose "raw printing" (or similar).

Printing works perfectly, with one exception: Jobs cannot be aborted by
the client any more. The lpq command tells me, that the printer is ready
and does not show any jobs in the queue, though the printer is still
working or hasn't even warmed up.

Is there a way for the client
    1) to see the started jobs and
    2) to interrupt already started jobs