lpd server

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Mar 15 02:11:52 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 00:32 +0100, Boris Glawe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have an lpd Server on a solaris machine. Our Clients will be updated
> to Fedora Core 5 as soon as it is released.
>
> Due to deep dependencies with gnome we don't want to replace the cups
> packages with lprng on the clients. Though we'd like to use cups'
> capability to communicate with an lpd server.
>
> On a client running fc5 test3 I used system-config-printer to configure
> the printer. I created a new printing queue, and chose "LPD" as queue
> type. I entered the print server and the corresponding queue. As the
> driver I chose "raw printing" (or similar).
>
> Printing works perfectly, with one exception: Jobs cannot be aborted by
> the client any more. The lpq command tells me, that the printer is ready
> and does not show any jobs in the queue, though the printer is still
> working or hasn't even warmed up.
>
> Is there a way for the client
>     1) to see the started jobs and
>     2) to interrupt already started jobs
> with our configuration?

The actual print queue exists on the remote server.  The local print
queue is emptied as soon as the remote server has received the job
(which happens as fast as the job is queued locally and can then be
transfered across the network).

To manage the print queue as you desire will require the user to have
access to the print queue management functions on the remote print
server.

In short - The functions you desire are complex at best, and although
possible, are not trivial to implement or manage.

One possibility may be to update the lpd server on solaris to use cups
instead.  That would make remote queue management trivial with the cups
interface.