hosed RPM

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Wed Mar 15 14:54:58 UTC 2006

Andy Green wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
>
>> Okay, my very first hosed rpmdb.  I tried rebuilddb, no go.  I tried
>> initdb /then/ rebuilddb no go.  Any other ideas?  Fortunately, this
>> isn't a production system (yet) so I can blow it away if I need to.  I
>> was running up2date on the box from ssh and for some reason sshd died in
>> the middle of it.
>>

> up2date :-O  Use yum.
>
> Check your /var/log/messages for, eg, memory-related problems that
> provoked things to blow up in the first place.
>
> What exactly are the symptoms when you try, for example,
>
> rpm -qa
>
> -Andy

rpm -qa gives me a package list like it should.  This is what I get when
I up2date:

RPM error.  The message was:
Could not determine what version of Red Hat Linux you are running.
If you get this error, try running

                rpm --rebuilddb

--
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415