Are RWs a problem?

I haven't used RW disks for ages, but since I wanted to experiment a bit, it
seemed sensible.  I put a CD-RW into k3b (FC4) and it erased it happily, but
I can't get it to burn to the disk at all.  I'm just getting messages like

Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
/usr/bin/cdrecord: Device or resource busy. Cannot open '/dev/hdd'. Cannot
open SCSI driver.

I did the same batch of files onto a CD-R without any problem at all.

Is this a known problem?

Anne