hosed RPM

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Wed Mar 15 16:08:59 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 March 2006 09:54, Mark Haney wrote:
>
>> Andy Green wrote:

>>> up2date :-O  Use yum.
>>>
>>> Check your /var/log/messages for, eg, memory-related problems that
>>> provoked things to blow up in the first place.
>>>
>>> What exactly are the symptoms when you try, for example,
>>>
>>> rpm -qa
>>>
>>> -Andy
>>>
>> rpm -qa gives me a package list like it should.  This is what I get
>> when I up2date:
>>
>> RPM error.  The message was:
>> Could not determine what version of Red Hat Linux you are running.
>> If you get this error, try running
>>
>>                rpm --rebuilddb
>>

> As a previous poster said, use yum.  up2date is 100% deprecated and
> could hose the system if it did work.

Well just FYI, this was the wrong forum for this anyway, I didn't
realize the system was RHEL until I took a good look at it.  These
systems haven't been under my control for long and all the rest of them
are FC2 (yeah I know).

--
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415