Best ways to set up LVM

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Mar 15 16:46:48 UTC 2006

David Limon Romero wrote:
> Hello list
>
> I'm starting to play with lvm with a single HD, but before, I would like to
> know what are the best ways to configure it for future growing, I mean, if
> the disk is full and then I add a second HD, what could I do without losing
> data, resizing logical volumes, etc.
>
> TIA
> David

I have done exactly what you are talking about with my first attempt
at LVM.  It is easy and just look at the LVM documentation.

I moved to LVM, copied data from non-LVM drives, converted the old
drives to LVM and then added them to the LVM in just a few hours.
Most of the time was taken up with transferring data and rebooting the
computer (changing wiring).

For a start.
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/

The only thing that had me stumped was the resizing the file system.
   man resize2fs
Saved the day.

I also played with the
   Desktop > System Settings > Logical Volume Management.

I don't have all the details here as I did this at home.

I won't setup data drives without LVM again.

--
Robin Laing