KDE Greeter Help

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 19:58:00 UTC 2006

On 3/15/06, Ali Helmy <alihelmy at gmail.com> wrote:

> HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP
>
> Here is the problem: I got FC4 installed on my laptop, along with KDE3.5...
> Now, today I tried installing a theme for the greeter (login screen, in
> which to enter username & password)... i went to Login management and
> checked the greeter to be "Graphical Greeter" then selected the new theme...
>

> When I restarted it loaded all the services as usual, but when it got to
> the point where i should enter the name and password, instead it said that
> the "Greeter Theme Corrupt" because theme has no values for username and
> password fields in the warning message. I click ok, and then another warning
> says: "Loading graphical greeter failed, trying to load standard greeter"
> then the computer just does nothing after i click ok...
>
> i can log-on only to the laptop using the text-session (Alt+Ctrl+F1) but i
> dont know what to do...
>
> Please i need some help to fix the problem, any idea how i can reset that
> to the default or previous state?
>
> Thank you
>
> Well at least you have the console. I hope you can use one of the console
text editors such as vi or emacs. If not, now is as good a time as any to
learn.

Go into the console (as root) and edit the following file:
/etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc . I am unsure as to what option will help you, but I
suspect it will be obvious once you get in there. Most likely you can just
comment out what ever option loads the theme.

Once you think you are done, save the file and hit CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE That
should attempt to reload the greeter. If it doesn't then just do a full
reboot.

Good luck.