PHP as DSO

I'm looking to install a new system and want to make sure that PHP is installed as a DSO.

Recently I used the gui installer and simply selected httpd(apache) and when it installed I had php support but no support for xslt or sablotron.

When I tried to rebuild php I got errors saying that I would have to rebuild apache as well.

As you can tell I am sorta new to this so please help me if you can.