how to silence error output from NIC

John Wendel john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil
Wed Mar 15 23:11:23 UTC 2006

Mike Wright wrote:
> Hello, list users,
>
> Running FC4.  Don't think this is specifically a Fedora issue but I know
> this is where the brains are ;)
>
> I recently added some AirLink 10/100/1000 network cards with the RealTek
> 8169 chips.  They appear to function well with the exception of one
> _very_ annoying trait.  If there is no carrier, i.e. no cable attached
> or the other end of the cable is down, they spew:
>
>     ethX: r8169: PHY reset until link up".
>
> This is not a problem in runlevel 5, but in lesser runlevels this is
> output directly to the console every few seconds, more or less making
> the console useless for a workspace.
>
> I've tried redirecting output to /dev/null in /etc/modprobe.conf but
> that didn't do anything or I didn't do it correctly.
>
> Does anybody know how to silence these beasts, or at least to direct
> their plaints to the bit bucket?
>
> Thanks for any help!
> Mike Wright :m)

You could comment out the printk at line 1263 in
<kernel_sources>/drivers/net/r8169.c and rebuild your kernel.

Or you could set the klogd error message level in
/etc/sysconfig/syslog to something like "-c 4". This will stop any
warning messsages from hitting the console (I haven't tried this).

Regards,

John