Re: Creating Image

Jim Douglas wrote:

I have grub, I'm using it for a dual boot system. If the drive were to fail I would make it just a Linux box.

It's just a development box and it's only 20GB. So if my HD failed and I installed a new one this would do it then,
backup,
dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/sda1 bs=16M
restore,
dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/hda1 bs=16M

The USB drive is much larger than my server HD.

My main concern is that I have spent so much time researching and configuring this box, I don't care about the data.

Jim

As long as /dev/sda1 is exactly equal or greater than in size than /dev/hda1 (preferably equal, otherwise you'd be wasting space), you can check this/manipulate the partition with parted or fdisk.
-Dan