FC5T3 -> FC5

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Mar 16 16:39:21 UTC 2006

Gabor Walter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have FC5T3 installed on my notebook. When FC5 comes out, will it be
> enough to do a 'yum update' to bring it up-to-date (FC5 final, that is)
> or is it recommended to perform a clean install?

The basic deal seems to be that some (small amount of?) secret knowledge
about packages lives in the installer application, such that a yum
update is not exactly the same as an upgrade install.  I have upgraded
several machines using just yum and have seen minor issues, but I was
able to fix them all by hand.

I guess when FC5 is ready I would update the version in the yum config
files and get yum to see how much it must download.  If it is a
significant fraction of FC5 then I would download the ISOs instead.  At
least then you can install FC5 again on this or another box with
confidence.  Otherwise yum updates between versions has worked many
times in the past as I say with only minor fixups sometimes needed... no
guarantee it won't trash your box this time though :-)

-Andy