Fedora Core 4 On mini mac

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Thu Mar 16 18:47:47 UTC 2006

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:53:31 +0100, Hill, Richard D wrote:

> (sorry if this is the wrong place to post this)

Not the wrong place, but the wrong way : if you *have* to reply to a
digest (not that you had to this time), for Net's sake edit out the
irrelevant parts! And control your line length; it makes your post much
more readable -- as below. (It would also help to use punctuation.)

> For days I have been trying to install Fedora core 4 (ppc) on my Mini
> Mac I have repartitioned destroyed partitions etc and every time it
> errors with ignore or cancel messages about partition blocks I can press
> ignore and go on but it generally bombs out when it comes to the actual
> formatting of the new partitions I've defined and the copy of files part
> , on one occasion it seemed to actually install but on reboot it failed
> to load kernel image There is nothing wrong with the hdd I have no
> issues at all installing tiger back on the Mini Mac , but do what I will
> it actively refuses to have anything to do with Fedora. Has anyone else
> experienced this problem ?

Not that problem, but a similar one -- I tried to replace YellowDog on an
iBook with FC4.ppc. There was some discussion here -- not much, iirc --
and more on gmane.linux.yellowdog.general. The conclusion which people far
more knowledgeable than I seemed to be inclining to was that there may be
something wrong with the ISOs on RedHat's server. (I presume that's where
you got them, right? You didn't say.)

If so, RedHat will have to fix them; I don't know enough to be able to
file a useful bug report. So I'll just go on getting along with YDL till I
hear that the ISOs have been fixed, or at least that someone has succeeded
somehow with an FC4.ppc installation.

If perchance you're mainly trying to get away from OSX, take a look at
YDL; it's at terrasoft.com, installs very easily and isn't half
bad. My reason to switch is just that all our other machines are PCs, and
I'd rather have one less OS to keep up with.

--
Beartooth Neo-Redneck, Linux convert
FC4, YDL 4; Pine 4.63, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3;