SAMBA configuration - Machine name

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Mar 16 19:58:34 UTC 2006

Mike McCarty wrote:
> I've read all the help available on SAMBA available from GNOME.
>
> I've got an MSDOS (6.0) machine with MSCLIENT over TCP/IP running
> on it, and a Fedora Core 2 machine, using static IP addresses.
> Each machine can successfully ping the other. But when I try
> to establish a share connection from the MSDOS machine to the
> Linux machine, the MSDOS machine cannot find the Linux machine.
>
> JMCCARTY at AMD586 Q:\NET> net use * \\presario\tmp
> [several second pause]
> Error 53: The computer name specified in the network path cannot
> be located.

Not much of a Samba user, but when I stuggled through getting it working
I found Swat was helpful.  Some things only worked properly when
windbindd was running, check

service winbind status

Also make sure you poked some holes in your firewall

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 137:139 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 445 -j ACCEPT

If it still didn't work I would fire up tcpdump and look to see if the
Linux box is broadcasting its existence and name.

-Andy