Fedora Core 4 On mini mac

Chasecreek Systemhouse chasecreek.systemhouse at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 20:36:13 UTC 2006

PMFJI:

> > For days I have been trying to install Fedora core 4 (ppc) on my Mini
> > Mac I have repartitioned destroyed partitions etc and every time it
> > errors with ignore or cancel messages about partition blocks I can press
> > ignore and go on but it generally bombs out when it comes to the actual
> > formatting of the new partitions I've defined and the copy of files part
> > , on one occasion it seemed to actually install but on reboot it failed
> > to load kernel image There is nothing wrong with the hdd I have no
> > issues at all installing tiger back on the Mini Mac , but do what I will
> > it actively refuses to have anything to do with Fedora. Has anyone else
> > experienced this problem ?

Here is a possible work-a-round (really way around, but hey.)

Boot up ubuntu and allow it to format your system the correct way;
then go back and install FC4 but pick the filesystem layout manually.
Once done it should look like this under parted:

/dev/hda1 AppleDiskLabel (created by ubuntu.)
/dev/hda2 Apple-Boot (created by FC4.) (1MB)
/dev/hda3 /boot (100MB make it an ext2 FS however)
/dev/hda4 swap (however big you want/need.)
/dev/hda5 / (root) (the rest of the stuff, make it a Ext3 FS...)

Or something very similar.  I don't believe anything else will work.

HTH =)
--
WC (Bill) Jones -- http://youve-reached-the.endoftheinternet.org/