SAMBA configuration - Machine name

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Mar 17 00:02:54 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 15:48 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> > Mike McCarty wrote:
> >

> > You may have to edit the lmhosts file on the MSCLIENT machine, and
> > add an entry for the Sambe machine. If you don't have one, you can
> > create on. The form on the entries:
> > <ip address>	<NETBOIS NAME>
>
> That file exists, but is empty. I added a line, and did
>
> JMCCARTY at AMD586 Q:\NET> net stop
> [confirm to log out]
> JMCCARTY at AMD586 Q:\NET> net start
> [successful login and start]
>
> But it still cannot find that machine. A possibility I have
> considered...
>
> When I set up MSCLIENT, I gave the Linux box as the gateway.
> Should I have done that?
>
> I said that I can ping, and that's true, but not by name,
> BTW. I use the (static) IP addresses.
>
> > The problem could be that the MSCLIENT is not finding the NMB
> > server, so it can not get a list of machines on the network.
> > This is especially true is you more then just the TCP/IP protocol
> > installed. For some reason, MSCLIENT does not do a good job of host
> > lookup using TCP/IP, and always seems to fail if you have other
> > protocols. This may be because TCP/IP is somewhat of an add-on to
> > MSCLIENT.

> I don't think I installed NETBEUI or other protocol. I believe
> I only installed TCP/IP.

	Installed it where?  On the MS-DOS machine?

	It's possible that the msclient program and protocol stack predates RFC
1001/1002 Netbios over tcp/ip and will only talk NetBUI.  At which time
you are SOL.  It would be perfectly capable of talking with WfWg, since
that typically spoke NetBEUI, tcp/ip, and ipx/spx (I think all three
were typically enabled by default causing a rash of wasted network
traffic).  If the docs you have on msclient indicates it will talk
tcp/ip, then you should be cool with that, once you fix your UDP
firewall rules (other post).

	On your Linux system, run tcpdump and then try that net use command.
You should see some 137/udp traffic with the IP address of the client
that tcpdump will identify as name queries for the name of the server.

> Mike

	Mike