SAMBA configuration - Machine name

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Mar 17 05:29:09 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 15:48 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> > Mike McCarty wrote:
> >

> > You may have to edit the lmhosts file on the MSCLIENT machine, and
> > add an entry for the Sambe machine. If you don't have one, you can
> > create on. The form on the entries:
> > <ip address>	<NETBOIS NAME>
>
> That file exists, but is empty. I added a line, and did
>
> JMCCARTY at AMD586 Q:\NET> net stop
> [confirm to log out]
> JMCCARTY at AMD586 Q:\NET> net start
> [successful login and start]
>
> But it still cannot find that machine. A possibility I have
> considered...
>
> When I set up MSCLIENT, I gave the Linux box as the gateway.
> Should I have done that?
>
> I said that I can ping, and that's true, but not by name,
> BTW. I use the (static) IP addresses.
>
> > The problem could be that the MSCLIENT is not finding the NMB
> > server, so it can not get a list of machines on the network.
> > This is especially true is you more then just the TCP/IP protocol
> > installed. For some reason, MSCLIENT does not do a good job of host
> > lookup using TCP/IP, and always seems to fail if you have other
> > protocols. This may be because TCP/IP is somewhat of an add-on to
> > MSCLIENT.
>
> I don't think I installed NETBEUI or other protocol. I believe
> I only installed TCP/IP.
----
I'm believe you are going to need NETBUI protocol for that old dog. I'm
not certain that you are going to be able to get everything happening
over TCP/IP

if you followed my earlier...if you added 'wins support = yes', then
within the TCP/IP configuration, you might be able to put the ip address
of the Linux server as a WINS SERVER (and you might want to enter the
DNS server address too for S&G's)

Anyway, failing that or a functional LMHOSTS (which can be tricky at
first), simply use the TCP/IP address...

net use f: 192.168.x.x\jmmcarty

Craig