SAMBA configuration - Machine name

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Mar 17 06:02:24 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 23:47 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Ben wrote:
> > The main point is that Mike use "net use * \\presario\tmp" instead of "net
> > use f: \\presario\jmccarty" .
>
> My main point up to now is that the machine can't be *found*,
> let alone attached to. However, after opening up UDP, it appears
> that it can be found, but is denying access, even for a view.
>
> So, that's progress of a sort.
>
> Thanks all, for your help so far.
----
I don't know what you are referring to with 'found' and 'attached to'

You do know do you not...that you must create 'samba' users and
passwords that 'match' up against 'posix' users - either by exact name
match or via smbusers mapping do you not?

useradd craig
passwd craig

smbpasswd -a craig
smbpasswd craig

cat /etc/samba/smbpasswd

from Linux system...

net view -L PRESARIO

(no user/no authentication...should work - to list 'browseable' shares
on server)

Craig