SAMBA configuration - Machine name

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Mar 17 06:36:33 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 00:21 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
> > I'm believe you are going to need NETBUI protocol for that old dog. I'm
>
> AIUI, I don't need NETBEUI (which is what I think you meant).
>
> > not certain that you are going to be able to get everything happening
> > over TCP/IP
>
> Well, I nearly am now.
>
> > if you followed my earlier...if you added 'wins support = yes', then
> > within the TCP/IP configuration, you might be able to put the ip address
> > of the Linux server as a WINS SERVER (and you might want to enter the
> > DNS server address too for S&G's)
> >
> > Anyway, failing that or a functional LMHOSTS (which can be tricky at
> > first), simply use the TCP/IP address...
> >
> > net use f: 192.168.x.x\jmmcarty
>
> Not possible. But it is finding the machine, now, I just have a password
> problem.
>
> Maybe encryption?
----
I don't believe that Dos Client is capable of encrypted passwords

encrypted passwords = No

in smb.conf should be all that is necessary to deal with that.

default of samba is 'security = user'

which means you have to supply user & password to authenticate but if
you supply user name, it will prompt for password...

net use f: \\PRESARIO\jmmcarty /USERNAME:jmmcarty

I think is how you do it but I do recall differences in this from Win98
to WinXP so it might be best to simply get the proper usage from command
line itself...

net use /?

otherwise, you can explicitly change the 'security' methodology to
'security = share' which is more of what DOS Client and Windows
95/98/WFWG was used to...a share level protocol which had no concept of
users at all...only passwords - each 'share' had to be separately
authenticated. This is covered in the man pages of smb.conf

Craig