SAMBA configuration - Machine name

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 17 07:11:36 UTC 2006

Craig White wrote:
> actually, service smb restart isn't truly necessary because samba
> automatically re-reads it's config files on some regular basis (perhaps
> once per minute or so) but it helps speed things along if nothing
> else...and of course, once you have a 'connection' established, even
> changing and restarting smb service isn't going to change things for
> those connections.
>
> You might want to verify that a pointless connection doesn't already
> exist from client to server...'smbstatus'
>
> Craig

# smbstatus

Samba version 3.0.10-1.fc2
PID     Username      Group         Machine

Service      pid     machine       Connected at
tmp          11998   amd586        Fri Mar 17 00:54:27 2006

No locked files

Only thing is, I can't connect to my home directory. MSCLIENT
complains that the syntax isn't correct. Apparently it can
only handle one level of directory...

JMCCARTY at AMD586 Q:\NET> net use * \\presario-1\home\jmccarty ?
Enter password:
The syntax is incorrect.

So, it doesn't like the multiple levels.

However, I added a soft link /jmccarty -> /home/jmccarty which
I shared only to my user jmccarty, and it works just fine to
let me access my home directory.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.