SAMBA configuration - Machine name

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Mar 17 14:16:26 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 01:11 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > actually, service smb restart isn't truly necessary because samba
> > automatically re-reads it's config files on some regular basis (perhaps
> > once per minute or so) but it helps speed things along if nothing
> > else...and of course, once you have a 'connection' established, even
> > changing and restarting smb service isn't going to change things for
> > those connections.
> >
> > You might want to verify that a pointless connection doesn't already
> > exist from client to server...'smbstatus'
> >
> > Craig
> >

> # smbstatus
>
> Samba version 3.0.10-1.fc2
> PID     Username      Group         Machine
>
> Service      pid     machine       Connected at
> tmp          11998   amd586        Fri Mar 17 00:54:27 2006
>
> No locked files
>
> Only thing is, I can't connect to my home directory. MSCLIENT
> complains that the syntax isn't correct. Apparently it can
> only handle one level of directory...
>
> JMCCARTY at AMD586 Q:\NET> net use * \\presario-1\home\jmccarty ?
> Enter password:
> The syntax is incorrect.
>
> So, it doesn't like the multiple levels.
>
> However, I added a soft link /jmccarty -> /home/jmccarty which
> I shared only to my user jmccarty, and it works just fine to
> let me access my home directory.
----
a HOME$ share doesn't exist in a 'security = share' context and I would
bet that is discussed in the samba documentation and in the man pages of
smb.conf - if you think about it...'security = share' is nothing more
than a share level access which is Windows networking at it's absolute
minimum so if you wished to share your 'home' directory, you would have
to explicitly call it a share within smb.conf as it will never work in a
[homes] type designation.

Craig