FC4 on a projector

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right directory for getting my FC4 laptop to display correctly on a projector. Specifically, I've had problems trying an X40 Thinkpad on a Hitachi CP-X443 projector.

I've tried a few things, but here's where I'm at now:
If I reboot with the projector plugged in, things display correctly on the projector, but I can't seem to turn on the projector and the laptop display simultaneously. My Fn-F7 does toggle between modes, but they do not display correctly (either mouse disappears, or a bar is shown on top. however, none show on my laptop lcd, except very briefly).

I've been trying both Fn-F7, and using the ibm_acpi commands in /proc/acpi/ibm/video. After rebooting with projector plugged in, even if I set crt_enable and lcd_enable, it is only shown on the projector. I am using 1024x768, 60Hz, and the projector displays this correctly.

Could this maybe be fixed with some simple xorg.conf settings? Has anyone had a similar setup working?

Thanks,
Ken