fedora installation problems

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Mar 17 20:57:40 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 12:01 -0800, jim phelps wrote:
> >> jim phelps wrote:
> >> Im having problem installing FC4, maybe someone can
> >> help.
> >> <SNIP>
>
> >Paul Howarth wrote:
> >Have you got the updated xorg-x11* packages installed?
> ># yum update xorg-x11\*
> >Paul.
> No, but I remember some mumble on this list
> about some problems with xorg stuff ?
>
> Do all users of FC4 need to update their xorg files?
>
> Can you point to where I can find more info on this?
>
> Thanks for the help, system is useless till I can get
> it fixed.

<sarcasm>
System won't fix itself.  Updated software won't break it.
</sarcasm>

Search the archives for lots of related information. (There was one
update of the xorg software that had an issue but it has been updated
again and I have seen no complaints recently.)
Also, there were a lot of different issues with the early release of FC4
that were fixed over time by updates to a _lot_ of different packages.

If you want a stable, secure system where everything works as expected
then do a simple 'yum update' and get all installed packages updated to
the latest.  If you still have problems after that then ask again.

Jeff