fedora installation problems

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Mar 18 01:57:37 UTC 2006

jim phelps wrote:
> Im having problem installing FC4, maybe someone can
> help.
>
> I have been using FC2 with no problems.
> I installed FC4 from a set of CDs from Linuxcd.org.
> Installation went OK, no problems.
>
> I prefer to boot to a text based 'console', then start
> the X system and KDE using 'startx'. Ive managed to do
> this on other systems, (RH7,RH9,FC2), by changing
> initdefault in inittab from 5 to 3 (or 2 in FC4, there is no
> network).
>
> When I attempt to return from KDE, however, instead of
> returning to a normal console screen (black with white text),
> the screen turns pink with a narrow green border! The keyboard
> apparently still functions as I can type 'halt' and the
> computer eventually halts even though no text is visable on
> the screen. Once halted, I can reboot using CTRL-ALT-DEL,
> and the black screen returns and everything appears normal.
> I tried installing twice with the same results.
> The install detected the monitor and graphics card correctly,
> nothing special here (Matrox G200).

The Matrox and the Intel video chips were exposed to a problem brought
out by the compiler. The problem was fixed with improvements to the
compiler regarding optimization options given to the code.
Updating xorg-x11 should get X to work normally.

> Has something changed between FC2 and FC4 to cause this
> behavior?
>
> If I revert to the default graphical boot, I still have a problem
> in that if I click on the 'shutdown' tab at the bottom of the
> screen, the system shutsdown, but then immediatly reboots.
> I want it to shutdown and HALT.

Make a launcher for your desktop where you put poweroff as the command,
which calls halt on your desktop. If you want to select an ICON you
prefer, you can do so and then drag the desktop ICON to your panel when
you are satisfied with the launcher.

I don't recall a shutdown available when logging out using runlevel 3
and startx. The option was removed from GNOME itself unless you logged
in using GDM.

--
Fresco's Discovery:
	If you knew what you were doing you'd probably be bored.