Re: Upgrade from RHL v8.0

Daniel Silva wrote:
Tod,

I´ve already upgraded a RH9 to FC4 for once. Of course that was
necessary make some changes in config files, but it worked fine. It
was a e-mail (postfix) and dns (bind) server.

Daniel

On 3/17/06, Dave Jones <davej redhat com> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 03:37:35PM -0500, Tod wrote:
> I have a redhat 8 (Psyche) box I'd like to upgrade to FC4.  It never had
> yum installed, I can take care of that.  I was wondering if anybody had
> any experience performing this upgrade.  Any gotchas I should be aware of?

if this upgrades without anything breaking, it'll be a miracle.

It'll likely be a lot less headache to back up what you want to keep
and reinstall fresh.

How well it works depends on what software is installed. Some packages (eg WU imap and other WU software) have been retired over the years, and there is no smooth upgrade path. Such packages might actually seem to work, but they'd not be upgraded with security fixes.